Gastroenterology Health Center
According to the National Institute of Health, 60 to 70 million Americans, or at least 1 in every 5 Americans, are affected by digestive diseases. Gastroenterology (GI) diseases are a source of substantial morbidity, mortality, and cost in the U.S.
- The cost of digestive diseases totals more than $141.8 billion a year with $97.8 billion in direct costs and $44 billion in indirect costs from loss of work or productivity due to disability or mortality.
- Of the $85.7 billion in direct costs that could be attributed to individual digestive diseases, the six largest contributors were: GERD ($12.1 billion), gallstones ($5.8 billion), abdominal wall hernia ($5.7 billion), colorectal cancer ($4.0 billion), diverticular disease ($3.6 billion), and peptic ulcer disease ($2.6 billion).
- As a group, GI cancers accounted for $8.4 billion or 10% of the direct costs assigned to individual diseases.
- Digestive diseases cause more than 245,000 deaths annually.
- Digestive or gastrointestinal problems account for 51 million patient visits to physician offices, hospital outpatient and emergency departments, and 21.7 million hospitalizations.
At Advanced Gastroenterology, Board Certified Dr. Raza Hamdani provides comprehensive gastroenterology services to include endoscopic procedures, management of gastrointestinal disorders, liver diseases and colorectal cancer screening. Dr. Hamdani specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of the diseases of the digestive system, also called the digestive tract or the gastrointestinal (GI) tract.
The GI tract is the pathway through which food passes through the body. The digestive tract begins at the mouth and ends at the rectum. Organs within the digestive tract – esophagus, stomach, small intestine (bowel), large intestine (colon), liver, gallbladder, pancreas and rectum – break down foods, extract the nutrients and expel the remaining waste.
Any discomfort in your esophagus or stomach could be a symptom of an upper gastrointestinal (GI) problem while a lower gastrointestinal (GI) health issue affecting the small or large intestines, colon and rectum can cause mild to severe discomfort and pain, making daily life and routine uncomfortable and difficult. The impact of select gastrointestinal diseases and symptoms can significantly impair the quality of life, overall work productivity and activity for patients.
Common upper and lower GI conditions that Dr. Hamdani treats include, but are not limited to: heartburn, Barrett’s esophagus, gastroesophageal reflux (GERD), hiatal hernia, peptic ulcer, Celiac disease (gluten intolerance), lactose intolerance, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), constipation, colon polyps, Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) including Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, hemorrhoids and diverticulitis.
To learn more about diseases of a specific organ of the GI tract or the conditions we treat, please use the links below.
If you’re suffering with a digestive problem that causes you discomfort, pain or disrupts your life, don’t wait to get relief. At Advanced Gastroenterology, you’ll get one of the best gastroenterology health centers as we provide complete digestive care. Dr. Hamdani has successfully been diagnosing, treating and taking care of patients with every kind of digestive disease for more than two decades since 1995 and has performed over 10,000 endoscopic procedures. With his training, expertise and experience, you can be assured you’ll be in excellent hands with Dr. Hamdani for your GI needs.
You’ll get the highest quality of trusted care for your digestive or gastrointestinal concerns with Dr. Hamdani at Advanced Gastroenterology. Call us today at 630.882.9303.